Friday, November 6, 2009

I was taken off accutane and put on doxycycline- any feedback on this antibiotic?

I have moderate breakouts under the skin and went to my dermatologist in december about it. I told him i've tried every topical treatment under the sun (proactiv, differin, retin-a, etc.) and nothing worked- only dried out my skin. so he put me righton accutane after the 4 wk waiting period. I was on it for a month and a week, nothing happened except for my skin getting worse %26amp; then i developed bad headaches, fever, chills, and very blurry vision. my doctor said stop taking it immediately and we'll try again in a month. I went to another dermatologist yesterday for a second opinion and she said I should have never been put right on accutane in the first place and gave me a prescrip for doxycycline and tazorac to try. i'm getting very frustrated because my skin is not better and now it seems like i'm back to square 1. i haven't started the doxycycline yet and i'm not sure that will work anyway, not to mention it also has the same warnings as accutane. Any input would be appreciated:)
I was taken off accutane and put on doxycycline- any feedback on this antibiotic?
For moderate acne like yours, most dermatologists will try an antibiotic like doxycycline first. Accutane is usually a last resort medication, after you've tried all the other medications, or if you have really bad, severe acne.





I think it's worthwhile to try the doxycycline. It can sometimes take up to 3 months to see the effect of doxy, so don't give up too soon! Be sure to stay out of the sun. You might get an upset stomach. If you do, let the dermatologist know. There's a similar antibiotic called minocycline, which has fewer side effects, but is more expensive. If you are having severe symptoms, it might be worth trying. Good luck!
I was taken off accutane and put on doxycycline- any feedback on this antibiotic?
It is the most commonly prescribed antibiotic there is.





Be careful, though. It CAN interfere with your birth control, so use a condoms. It can also give you a yeast infection, so eat yogurt with active cultures every day to prevent that.





Other than that, you should be good to go. Doxy is very effective.
Reply:I was given doxycycline as well by my doc for my acne. It didnt work for me at all. I then switched to minocycline and my face cleared up a lot in like a week. If you dont see immediate results - i would question the doxycycline...just from my expierience....


No comments:

Post a Comment